Friday, February 22, 2013

V Ted Talbert

V     Ted Talbert



Ah, poor Detroit!  The city that I loved!
The people in the streets have lost their dream.
Mere mem'ries of Joe Lewis, golden-gloved.
Sometimes you have to take one for the team.

At least that's how the politicians scheme,
But it's ne'er they whom have to take the bow.
The Roman column coronation theme
Impressed, but look who's paying for it now.

Extracting all the pork from one fat sow
Appears the politicians' only art.
So pay your union dues behind their plow.
I did and now it stopped (and broke) my heart.

'Ere all I learned in journalism school,
I gave a bomber jacket to a fool.

2 comments:

  1. bomber jacket? fool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talbert was a tireless promoter of the City of Detroit and of the legacy of Joe Lewis. Consequently he periodically gave "brown bomber" jackets to accomplished people. The president was the fool, as Talbert realized on his deathbed.

    ReplyDelete